Benefit of Driftwood:
- Not only does driftwood look great, it also stimulates and maintains the ecosystem within an aquarium. Much like the substrate and filter media in an aquarium, driftwood promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria. These bacteria are very important as they break down fish by-products into less toxic compounds, keeping your fish healthy. The added surface area of driftwood ensures that you'll always have a healthy colony of these bacteria.
- Driftwood helps boost the immune systems of your fishes. When driftwood is submerged, natural tannins will slowly leach into the aquarium water. These tannins create a slightly acidic environment that helps to keep viruses and disease-causing bacteria at bay. The tannins released can also increase available oxygen in the water column, further stimulating your fishes' immune systems.
- If you're a fish keeper that constantly battles alkaline tap water, the addition of driftwood can help buffer and maintain a lower pH in your aquarium. Many fish require slightly acidic water conditions, and driftwood is the perfect way to create this environment.
- Adding driftwood to an aquarium can help promote the natural behavior of your fish. Driftwood exists in almost every river or lake, so naturally your fish will be attracted to it. Your fish will use it for hiding, breeding, or even as food.
Preparing the driftwood for your aquarium:
- Brush the driftwood gently to remove sand, dirt or anything growing on it.
- Boil the driftwood for several hours to kill any organisms and disinfect the wood without damaging it. If boiling is impractical, soak the driftwood in diluted bleach for a few days to clean it.
|Allow On Facebook Shop||No|
|Redirect to Product Page||No|